Monday, May 10, 2010

My new Mother's day Tradition

This is my second year doing the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure on Mother's Day weekend. It is one of my favorite things to look forward to. My friend Kerri Huff asked if I would like to join her group last year in support of her mom, Jeanie. Kerri and I have been friends since the 2nd grade and I practically lived at her house during the summer. Her mom in a way is my 2nd mother. Jeanie has had breast cancer twice and it has spread to her spinal cord and liver. She is on chemo to basically live at this point. She is absolutely amazing and walked the full 3.1 miles Saturday! There are thousands of people there supporting family and friends who have had breast cancer and it is so amazing to be a part of it!
My friend Julie came with me and she was nervous as heck! This is her first race and she almost chickened out. Thank heaven's she called me for a ride so that that didn't happen! It was so much fun to have her join our crew!

Julie and Me-self
Kerri, Julie and Me
BFF's Jess and Kerri!
Silly pose!
Kerri, Shannon and I
Jeanie, Shannon, Kerri, myself and little Charlotte.

It feels so good to be a part of something that raises awareness. I plan on doing this until the day I die and hope that one day my family will join me in this.
Oh and last year I posted a picture of Kerri and I together from the race as my photo on facebook. I had commented on my Mom's facebook page and one of her friends asked if she had a lesbian daughter! Ha ha ha ha ha! Couldn't be further from the truth! So if you are wondering why I have on makeup and earrings it's because I wanted to be the girl in the relationship in case someone asks my mom again!

6 comments:

Kerri said...

So now you are lipstick lesbian :)
Thanks for coming out this year. It was a fun morning. Next year you have to stick around for the survivors parade. It is awsome.

Cyd said...

Oh my gosh! I can't believe that (about the lesbian comment)! Good for you in running this. I need to make a plan to do a 5K so that I can work towards something cool like this.

Erin said...

Jess, the girl in the relationship??? Ahhhahahahaha! Funny girl! I WILL join you girls one of these years!

Sarah Lee said...

ha ha, you lesbo you. Someday I might do it, maybe if i ever get good shoes. I got shin splints last week. ugh. Nellie ran it too. I think she did it in 26 minutes. Overachiever.

Anonymous said...

What a great tradition! A friend of mine just told me today that this year was her first race and she wants to make it her mothers day tradition too. All of you women are inspiring! And, I read your "when it rains it pours" post and just want you to know that i promise you'll see the rainbow sometime...hopefully soon. :)

Schroeder's in a NUT SHELL! said...

Kristi, Staci Kati, Ben and I went too and we had a blast! This is the start of our new tradition as well only next year we are creating a team just to make it even more fun....Kati and Ben ran while we walked...we did it in good time! Sooo many people...I was really impress at the support! We're with ya Jessica! Great tradition...