If you're listening, if you're awake to the poignant beauty of the world, your heart breaks regularly. In fact, your heart is made to break; it's purpose is to burst open again and again so that it can hold ever more wonders. ~ Andrew Harvey
Wednesday, May 5, 2010
It's raining, it's pouring
I know it might sound dramatic to say when it rains it pours but sometimes that's how I feel. I just got back from the doctor's and let's just say I'm a little overwhelmed. 2 years ago I had surgery and found out I had thyroid cancer. It was a big shock and came with some big bills. I have since recovered from surgery, had 1 radiation treatment and 1 follow up body scan. I thought I was done. Um, that couldn't be further from the truth. I guess I expected my doctor to be the one to call and tell me the next step in cancer screenings and what to do. I learned today that it is definitely my job to be the pro active one in this. So, today I went to a new endocrinologist (since my old one transferred clinics) and we went through my history. It was a really long appointment but I feel good that the Doc was thorough with everything. He said I need another full body scan to make sure that ALL of the thyroid had been killed and that really the cancer is gone. Then after that it will be a periodic ultra sound to cover the bases on cancer screening. So here we go again, another 2 grand scan which means another hospital bill to add to it all. In fact, we are still paying for the body scan that I had 1 1/2 years ago. Besides the fact that I am paying for an endoscopy which I had done about a month ago because I couldn't swallow and my portion is a whopping 1200 bucks! You see, when it rains it pours. Jason said we will be fine and it will all work out, and I'm sure he is right. But in the thick of it all you start to wonder if that can be true. I know that because we pay our tithing and we are trying to live the principles of the gospel that we will be blessed and things will work out. I just need to practice relying on my Heavenly Father for these things. Which brings about a totally different topic that I will tackle another day. For now it's raining at my house and I pray soon that the clouds will lift and we will see the light at the end of all this. Through adversity comes strength. I will push on and do my best not to dwell on the negative. I am grateful that I am healthy.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
Aw Jess Im sorry! I know what its like to feel like your drowning. You are much more positive then I ever am though! =) I agree with you though--as scary as it seems now Im sure it will all work out--you guys are for sure watched after! Love you and if there is anything I can ever do to help (even if its just escaping with some sugary something or other for a night) please dont hesitate to call!!
Maybe you could steal someone else identity before you go in for that scan and stick someone else with the bill. I wonder at that point if paying your tithing will still get you blessings in heaven. Good luck
Lean on your friends and family too. Sometimes you need a little extra strengh to see though the clouds.We all love you and are so glad that you are healthy.
What a rough year. What a blessing to be healthy again. It's amazing how we take our health for granted until we have something happen. This past year we've had many, many doctor visits for McKay's seizures, Chad's had kidney stones,diabetes and obstructive sleep apnea. Ear infections and ear tubes for Grant, stitches for McKay, and the list goes on and on. I'm with you, I think we'll be paying med bills forever, but then I'm grateful that although it's expensive, we have access to amazing medical care that others don't. Hang in there, and know that the Lord does indeed bless those who put their trust in Him and pay their tithing, and remember the Lord won't give us anything we can't handle, even though at the time I sometimes wonder when enough is enough. Keep smiling, and remember it's always darkest before sunrise.
Love you, Jess. You BETTER know I'm here for you! :)
I'm so sorry! You are an amazing woman and I know everything will be ok. One day at a time....
Hey there Jess, I am pretty darn sure that you know and beleive that I am here with you in my daily thoughts and prayers, I am paying over 2k for my heart surgeries and I don't think that it will ever leave me alone, when it comes to the medical bills, they sure do take a HUGE bite out of ya whenever possible, that sucks. I am also positive that God is watching over each and everyone of you over every hill and around every corner. He loves you and will guide you through your needs. Love ya & of course I love the kids with all my heart.
That is terrible. Just when you think you're in the clear, you get a punch to the gut again. On the good side, now that you know, you can keep getting screened and making sure nothing has come back. As much as i hate bills too, when it comes to your health you don't really have an option. Just try not to think of that part, (easier said that done, right?) I think every stage of life has it's ups and downs and i'm thinking the 30's isn't off to such a good start huh?! stupid 30's.
I love ya and hope everything continues to come out in the clear. You know much to much about me and I would hate for you to beat me up there before I could explain myself. Ok, that was a little morbid, i was going for comic relief. I will shut up now.
Post a Comment