Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Day 4 and 5 in Grand Cayman

So last night we came to our room and found this cute little bear on our bed. The towel animals are so much fun! And the mattress we had was dreamy! I wish I had one like it...... Anyway's we spent all of Tuesday at sea. It was relaxing to just walk around the ship and not have a busy day. We got together with Jason's group that took us and we did a scavenger hunt on the ship. It was fun and we got ten bucks out of it. We also had formal night at dinner. It was crab leg night. Sadly I'm not a fan of seafood so I wasn't as excited as some of our group. Luckily they had plenty of choices on the menu so I was able to find something for picky me to eat. Jason on the other hand was in heaven and enjoyed every meal we had in the dining room at dinner.

 Today we sailed to the Grand Cayman. This is where our only excursion was. I wish we could have had more time on this stop. We didn't even get to see 7 mile beach or shop much. But the excursion was once in a lifetime and I'm glad we did it. We did what they call Sting Ray City. They take you by boat to the middle of the ocean where there is a sand bar. You get off the boat and actually stand in the middle of the ocean on the sand. The water was waist deep to chest deep. The sting rays are so used to this they swim right up to you. It was pretty cool!
 This is the sand bar. As you can see there are already some boats anchored and people in the ocean.
 You can see the sting ray's in the crystal waters just waiting for free food.

 Now these are the really fun pictures! They taught us on the boat how to get under the sting ray. You don't actually hold them, the females can weigh up to 180lbs!, they just float there. A lady from the excursion snapped these sweet pictures. I was actually surprised at how brave I was to do this part......
See how big the females are?! The males are a 1/4 the female size.
Jason is sporting a great do this trip! 
Pucker up for a smooch!
She was ready for Jason's kiss!
The guy helping had us lay on our backs to show just how big they can get! It's amazing!


This was a really cool experience. We even got to feed them some squid. They eat by sucking up the food. It felt like a vacuum when it took the food from your hand. It was pretty weird. Oh and the ocean tastes terrible! Getting a mouth full of salty water is nasty!

3 comments:

Cyd said...

I'm not a real brave one when it comes to fishies but I can see how this would have been a really cool experience. FUN!

Hendricksonblog said...

I am not sure I would want that creature all over me like that. Creepy but cool

Erin said...

Ewwwwwwww! These pics freak me out, Jess!! Props for your bravery though! :)