We are trying to take a new approach to discipline. I have been reading a book called "Scream free Parenting" and if any of you know me I am a screamer! Ha ha ha! Well it has been working really well! Not only have I tried really hard to stop screaming it has also been much easier to deal with the kids and their choices. Mostly because I am more calm and the situation doesn't blow up. So with the change not only are they not getting yelled at, but I am getting a clean house. Punishments are now cleaning something hard. Austin got to wash walls the other day and as you can see he is not too happy about it. I figure if he can learn something like taking care of someone elses property while figuring out that lying gets you no where it is a win-win scenario! I must also add that he did a great job!
Karlee thought it looked fun to wash a wall and me being the smart mom that I am didn't say no to it! She thought it was a blast!
I am so grateful to have learning experiences that help our family grow closer together. It has really changed the mood in our home for the positive. I only hope I can keep it up. I have learned that it isn't the kids who set the tone, it is MY job to set the tone in our home.
Too bad it took me so long to figure it out!!
14 comments:
Nice! I will have to read that book. Sounds great! :)
Wow... I'm impressed! Good thinkin' there Mom!
Oh I'm a screamer too. Maybe I could learn a lesson here.
If your kids need anymore walls to wash I have a few that could use a GOOD scrub.
You know what? Eleven years later....I still have to remind myself over and over that it is ME that sets the mood in our house. It's a tough job, isn't it? Keep up the good work. And I want more info on the book. (Also, I think Chris owes you money....as usual!!! So sorry! I will get it to you ASAP).
Send that book my way when you are done.
You are a great mom, and you have a great family!! Love you!
Good Mom...I'm still trying to figure it out LOL...actually with the the dogs this time!! good luck ... looks like a good plan..
I need to read this book!
Loved this post! Can't wait to take a look at the book!
Very well said. Girl I am a screamer too. I am going to need to read that book. My kids would probably really appreciate it.
COOL! I listened to that book too and really enjoyed it. I'm trying to implement similar things, but DANG--it's so hard not to scream! How are you doing it?
I also just got onto another parenting style called self government. The lady that teaches it gives a 7 hour seminar (I purchased it) and is working on her book. She lives in Tooele and has been great to talk me through some frustrations. Her blog is www.teachingselfgovernment.com
My new motto I adopted from her is, "I'm not trying to raise perfect children, I'm trying to raise joyful adults!"
Good job! I'm trying to hang in there too! Parenting ain't for sissies!
Put my kids to work, too. We've already been making Jadyn clean the walls. Everywhere I look, there's Jadyn's name.
I think I better read this book, too... sounds like a good one!
Post a Comment